Thursday, August 28, 2008

Paolini Interview



From home-schooled teen to hit author, Paolini takes wing with dragon series
By Karen Holt

Even superstars get the jitters. Christopher Paolini tries not to dwell on the huge expections surrounding Brisingr, the third book in his blockbuster Iheritance Cycle fantasy series.

With the first two books in the series selling 15.5 million copies worldwide, Knopf is preparing for Brisingrs September release with 2.5 million copy first printing, its biggest ever for a children's book ever for a children's book. Meanwhile, fans are squealing messages like, "I can't wat!" and "OMG, I need it!" on web discussion boards.

"As an author, I found that I can't really allow myself to think about those things," 24 year old Paolini says, speaking by phone from his home in Montama "I actually fell into that trap with the first part of Brisinger . . . I sat there and I started obsessing about every single word."

He worked past it by turning away from the keyboard and writing with an ink-dip pen on 80 pound parchment paper. His mother transcribed the pages. Now its readers who are obsessing, spinning the meager bits of information Paolini has tesed out to them into full blown specualtion about what will happen to Eragon, Saphira and the rest of the inhabitants of Alagaesia.. . .

Get BOOK PAGE for September 2008 at your library to read the rest of the interview.

No comments: